Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Nana

I have a sad story that is on my mind all the time. Several of you know my Cousin who I'm very close to. Well, he has 3 cousin's on his mom's side. Lindsay, Adam, and Ali. They're all 3 younger than me but when I was little Lindsay and Adam would always be around at ball games and such, and we'd play together and see each other from time to time. Once I got older I really didn't see them but around town once in a while. We're not close at all, but we're acquaintances. 5 years ago Adam and his girlfriend had a little girl, Adriana. They were both teenagers. Adam joined the Navy and for reasons I really don't know, the little girl's mother wasn't around. So Adriana (Nana as the family calls her) was raised by her grandparents and her aunts Lindsay and Ali.

2 years ago Deb (her grandmother) noticed a strange lump on Nana's leg. They took her to the doctor and found out she had cancer. She had to do the whole chemo thing, lost her hair, etc. She was in and out of the hospital for a good 6 months. But every time I have seen this little girl, she's always smiling. She's such a cutie. She went into remission and last October Make-A-Wish sent her to Disney World. Here's a photo that ran in the newspaper.
Well a couple weeks ago Deb noticed a new lump so they took her to the doctor and they were told that Nana only has about 6 wks to live. I can not begin to fathom such news. The thought of what this family is going through makes me sick to my stomach. Like I said I barely know these people but when I heard that I just couldn't stand it. They said another one of her wishes was to sing the national anthem at a ballgame. Well, my uncle is the softball coach at Cowley and last I heard he was going to arrange it so she could sing at one of the softball games. Her aunt Ali is a senior in high school and right now they are just hoping she makes it until Ali graduates.
I didn't write this to depress everyone. I just thought sending up a few more prayers couldn't hurt. And also to remind everyone that has kids (which is most of you) to be so very very thankful that they are healthy.

6 Comments:

At May 7, 2008 at 1:46 PM , Blogger Heather rules said...

I should not have read this at work today. Oh my goodness. I'm balling like a baby. She's in my thoughts. What I would not give to see her sing the National Anthem. I'm seeing it in my head and I can't quit crying.

 
At May 7, 2008 at 8:46 PM , Blogger Linda said...

How sad! Heather told me how she cried reading your post this morning. Poor little girl! I will definitely keep her and her family in my prayers...boo hoo!

 
At May 7, 2008 at 9:27 PM , Blogger El Bee said...

I know. Every time I think about it I well up and I think about it a lot!

 
At May 7, 2008 at 9:36 PM , Blogger Country Girl said...

she is absolutely beautiful, and so precious. you have to let us know when she'll be singing so that we can all try and be there to see her. another idea... see if she can sing the anthem at a wingnuts game.

 
At May 7, 2008 at 9:43 PM , Blogger El Bee said...

Well after I typed that I realized that the girls softball season is over now so I'm wondering if she got to do it. I asked my Cousin for an update today, he said he saw her all weekend and she was smiling and happy the whole time. That makes my heart warm.

 
At May 9, 2008 at 9:06 AM , Blogger Rockyn Robyn said...

Bless her little heart, Miss L.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home